Looking to refresh your mind with a round of exercise? The elliptical machine is always an effective way to work out and is easier to work out on when compared to the treadmill. What makes it a good exercise equipment is the fact that one can set preference goals and personal goals to apply. However, an elliptical machine has some advantages over treadmills.
- Essentially an elliptical machine is less stressful on the joints (knees, hips, and back) than the treadmill. While the amount of force used on both machines is the same, the stress on joints is lesser on an elliptical machine.
- Similarly, most elliptical machines are attached with poles (upper body handles). Using this, it allows an individual to exercise both arms and both legs simultaneously. Another unusual aspect of the elliptical machine is its reverse pedaling. Through this process, it allows the trainer’s calf and hamstring muscles to work well and burn calories.
- Broadly, an elliptical machine works perfectly as a low-impact aerobic activity. It will not cause knee pain if practiced accurately. It is an excellent alternative to jogging or running within one’s workout space.
When you practice daily with an elliptical machine, it is important to be aware of maintaining a healthy posture to ensure the workout is most effective.
- Hold shoulders back, hold your head up and keep the abdominal muscles tight.
- Look forward/straight and not down at your feet.
- Avoiding leaning towards the handles, and let the lower body support the body weight.
If you are planning to practice for a 5K run or any other road race, exercising on a treadmill makes one better equipped to prepare for such events. However, if the running or work out is as a fitness activity, then cross training with an elliptical machine is a better choice. It works well as a low impact exercise equipment. Thus it keeps the trainer fresh and prevents from injuries and stress fractures. The information mentioned above would help you understand better about elliptical machine. However, make your choice after a trial with an elliptical machine or after a doctor’s consultation, especially if you suffer from joint problems.